Tuesday 6 December 2016

Sign of the times

My blogging activity for the last few years has been much reduced. The reason for this is that the days had acquired a kind of rhythm , nothing remarkable seemed to happen. I seemed to blog more and more about the weather, I have felt guilty because we apparently have made little progress toward anything. Of course I could go on, but best to skip to what has changed.
I feel that the world around me has changed. We have had Brexit, we will soon have Donald Trump every day I read new stories that scare me, or make me feel ashamed, or angry or upset. Though actually nothing much has changed yet for me there is now the potential for change, over which I will have little or no control. Then one day I woke and realized that somehow, I had changed, finishing the house is no longer a priority, though I hope that we will. But making our lifestyle more self sufficient, reducing our dependence on actual money (rather than finding ways to make more) has moved up the list. As before nothing is going to physically change straight away, it can't. One of us needs to work outside the home to pay the bills, At least at the moment that is possible. we have too little prepared growing space, and too few animals for the garden to become a small holding over night. Steve doesn't altogether share my certainty about our direction, although he does share my alarm about world around us.
So this blog will change, imperceptibly at first I am sure. Darker perhaps, more frequent perhaps, but I know I want to record the change and my reactions when and indeed if they happen. How we cope with the new uncertainty, whether we can make sufficient money to pay the bills. Our pension prospects, never good, have never looked worse, but you never know. If anything forces us to live in the moment it is the lack of knowledge about what faces expats in a post Brexit Europe.
 For the time being, at least, lets glory in a little triviality. The picture above was taken from my bedroom window. Galicia in her Autumn wardrobe. Stunning! My favourite time of year and the sun is shining I am surrounded by the most beautiful scenery, the air is fresh, life is indeed good. Below are couple of photos taken on Friday night at a couple of bars in town. Yes it,s the annual tapas contest once again, two euros a plate, one euro for a glass of wine to wash it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment