Monday 3 December 2018

Reviews and autumn

Well so much for posting every week, I guess it didn't last long I can only keep trying and hope that I become more consistent with time.
It is Steves birthday this week and so yesterday we went out for lunch. We spent the morning putting in yet more new fencing for the sheep. Because the grass is growing more slowly the pasture in their field is pretty much eaten. Because we are always short of time and money, we do a lot of things on a temporary basis thinking that we will get to do properly eventually, and of course, we never do. We want to fence a section of the big field so that at this time of year they have fresh pasture.  Next spring we will block it off again to give it a chance to grow. We didn't quite do it but I'm pleased with what we have done. Yesterday was a glorious day.  It felt so good to be out in the fields. The colours are amazing at the moment and the drive to the restaurant in the afternoon was spectacular. One of those rare days when I know why we came to live here, and am not plagued by doubt. A day that just breathing is good for your soul, and the sight of sun glinting on the browns and golds of autumn feels better than money in the bank.

Just to be clear, this is not my field and they are not sheep.


Well to get to the review part. I seem to have, in a moment of panic (pressing everything on my phone in order to get what I want to actually happen) agreed to become a google local guide. This means that everywhere I go a little box pops up asking for my comments. I did try pressing other things to get rid of this feature on the grounds that I rarely go anywhere interesting. Eventually, when they asked my opinion of the laundrette I was sitting in, and I had nothing better to do I gave in and started giving reviews to fill in the time.
I realised 2 things.,
It was quite good fun
It can a pretty meaningless activity especially the star system.
Hence my first couple of reviews were very short and meaningless. For example, I gave my local bar five stars, primarily because I like it there. Then I read some of the other reviews and realised that the bad comments came from tourists who didn't understand the local system. It is very local, painted in dull brown with a covered terrace that can best be described as gloomy with a dirty plastic roof. the menu board is in Gallego and no explanation is given of what happens when or how. You are expected to know that you cannot buy tapas, only the slightly larger rations, and at what time of day you can get a free tapas with your drinks,   Why do I Like it?   It is always packed has a great atmosphere, the waiters are friendly.  But most importantly the food is fantastic local and homemade. Oh, and it's cheap. meaning that we can have a night out for about Fifteen euros for two.
I have realised that for a review to make sense people need all that information in the review, and possibly photos. And be told not to go to a brown local bar if you want a posh romantic dinner. I am Pretty sure that by now you will be rolling your eyes and wondering how anyone can overthink online reviews. The answer is because we, that is the universal we, have decided to use them instead of expert opinion. I am an Airbnb host, believe me, I know about these things. My Listing clearly states that we live in the country in a small village without shops or bars, but I have had guests complain about, farm animals, leaves, dogs (not mine) lack of nightclubs distance into town and the lack of shops and bars in the village and the list goes on, I am not complaining much my guests are lovely almost without exception but because I have a five star rating does not mean that I am a cheap version of a five star hotel together with spa, breakfast in bed etc.
  I wish there was a bigger element of objectivity, that reviewers and readers both knew what a star means. there isn't and they don't so maybe I will do my bit here. To explain exactly what I mean by the star rating I give.
Well we shall see I might get fed up of writing reviews about boring places but for the time being I shall enjoy having my say.

No comments:

Post a Comment