Monday 15 December 2014

Into the swing

Despite having failed dismally so far, I have decided to get back  "into the swing" of blogging that is. I have a new computer, my beloved mac have passed away peacefully in its sleep a week or so ago. Alas the new machine is a PC and I have entered the ghostly world of windows 8 persuaded by a 700 euro difference in the price of  the relative machines and am already certain that if I had the said 700€ I would willingly have handed it over. But then I like Astin Martins but rarely loose sleep over my lack of one.

The house.

Our official project at the moment is Steve`s study which is making slow progress and will get a boost over Christmas when Steve has a bit more time.
I am always a bit irritated by the fact that we never quite finish a job. As soon as a room is usable we stop and move onto the next project and with this in mind I had a bit of a brainstorm during an unscheduled visit to Ikea. I take my hat off to  the Ikea shop designers, on entry to the shop your mind is infected by no-,end uninvited and expensive thoughts ,(enough to end a marriage if some of the overheard comments are  taken seriously) I decided that we would finish the cloakroom. I bought towels, pictures and a candle holder with that in mind. Considering the size of the room which is barely big enough for a toilet and sink I thought that a weekend would do the trick, how long can it take to hang a picture and change a towel. How wrong I was, I should have known that nothing is that simple.
The walls, or at least two of them, are stone as  they dry out tend to leak dust, sand like and in quite large quantities. We had heard that it is possible to seal them with a dilute solution of p.v.a glue and set about to give them a quick clean before applying said glue. We also had a vague recollection that you had to brush the glue mixture onto damp walls. We obviously  h.adn`t  made a great job of cleaning the stone before we pointed it in the first place. We ended up with neatly sealed in streaks which were so obvious that could have been going for a zebra theme. I have to say that PVA does an amazing job of sealing stone because it has taken the best part of two weeks to get rid of the streaks.
The worst thing is that we haven`t finished even now we have a window to fit and shelf to put under the sink. Both jobs were left undone because we hadn`t a clue how to tackle them in the first place, the door does now have a working lock though so that's something at least.

The animals
 
Let me introduce you to our new head of rodent control. He followed me home last week and since he followed me for a good 3 kilometres I hadn´t the heart to turn him away at the door. At the moment he dosn´t seem to know the difference between mice and socks so we have a good number of dead socks. I am however hopeful for the future. His name is Franky we have put the word out that we have him as someone might be missing a kitten. He unlike, the normal barn cats who live around here is used to people and likes attention. I hope he gets to stay.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment