Wednesday 28 October 2015

Cleaning the freezer.

Most people, I guess, find stray and forgotten food parcels at the back or in our case the bottom of their freezer when they come to clean it out. Well OK there are one or two people who have colour coded labeling and super strong clips so that not even a rougue frozen pea escapes scrutiny. I am not one of them. We have a largish chest freezer which makes it even easier to loose things. The things lurking at the bottom of my freezer turned out to be random pieces of pig.  To be precise two stomachs, three tails, two trotters,and three packs of cawl.
I am slightly unsure how long they have been there. The reason for my uncertainty is because they were gifts, I know, I know normal people get chocolates or flowers not pig guts! I have a bit of a reputation for being willing to cook and eat anything so sometimes when friends do have a whole pig they bring me the bits that they don't want. I accept anything but I have to admit not always with a great deal of relish for the cleaning, scraping, salting or boiling that such things enevitably require to make them taste good.
I was for a moment (of weakness) tempted to bin them,however I have been a bit vocal in the paste about the crime of wasting food and we are as ever on a bit of a budget. I thawed one of the stomachs and repackaged the other things in the quick access basket. I then girded my loins and beafed up my determination, and set about trying to remember what to do with said stomach. We had cooked one once before and it had been surprisingly good.  It turned out that I had kept the recipe for the stuffing but not the cleaning instructions, YouTube came to my rescue of course. I have to ask who gets up in the morning and decides to video themselves cleaning out a pigs stomach? The answer is quite a lot of people apparently.
To cut a long story short, having spent two days brineing and scrubbing I ended up with a cleanish almost smell free casing for my pork meat sausage and potato stuffing.

These are the pictures of the cooked result. It was really delicious though I should have realised when the recipe (taken from a book of Amish memoirs) noted that it is a good recipe for a barn raising that most of it would end up back in the freezer. I better remind myself not to let it lurk!

No comments:

Post a Comment