Thursday 8 October 2015

Mushrooms and another walnut recipe

My first find this morning
Frades and the surrounding woodland is well known in the area for wild mushrooms and every year we see people park in the lane and head out with baskets. Among them are commercial pickers and this sometimes creates a little annoyance in the village. I have heard my my neighbour M getting quite loud ( he has one of voices that carries), suggesting that his cows are being disturbed and his gates left open When he found a couple with full baskets in his field.  The ladies just gossip shaking their heads at the cheek of strangers. The truth is no-one minds people gathering mushrooms or later chestnuts for themselves, if anything it is a matter of pride that we have the best mushrooms and the best chestnuts. The line is drawn when people pick to sell though people usually mutter amongst themselves rather than confront the offender. rather than confront the offender.

 I went out this morning, not really hopeful because I had seen pickers in the fields yesterday. The wood below the village was awash with ceps and probably for the first time ever had to stop because I couldn't`t carry any more rather than stopping because I couldn´t find any more. The pickers were probably looking for field mushrooms so I will try for those maybe tomorrow.
Maggots got there first.
Ceps are my favorite for drying as they re- hydrate well and have a lovely concentrated flavour.So today's haul will be dried rather than eaten fresh.
 I have to honest about mushroom collecting as so much is written on the Internet which is a bit misleading. Ceps are loved by all kinds of creatures and it is a rare day when you will get a whole mushroom for yourself above are the mushrooms that the maggots got to first. I always expect to throw away some of what I pick and I keep dried ones in the freezer for a while just in case any little creature or egg survives both the drying process and my inspection. Don't be put off it's worth it and soon becomes a bit addictive. What could be better than tramping though the woods on a clear autumn day with the promise of a gourmet meal (Have seen the price of them in the shops)at the end.


Today's Walnut recipe


Spinach and walnut sauce
Half a dozen leaves of everlasting spinach stalks removed or a big pile of normal spinach
a big hand full of walnuts
3 cloves of garlic
a grating of nutmeg
the juice of half a lime
olive oil.
Blanch both the spinach and the walnuts(unless they are very fresh) and add to a blender with all the other ingredients except the lime juice. When smooth add lime juice and salt and pepper to taste 
and maybe extra olive oil. We ate it with Salmon and it was so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment