Monday 26 October 2015

Learning life skills

Almost every thing that I have done in life I have wished that I started with more knowledge.
 As I was gardening over the weekend I was thinking about school, about the fact that so much of my time was spent on things that I have never used and in fact no longer really remember. If only basic food production had been a subject, or even, more general gardening skills. I could have supported my family in a more enjoyable way. Basic carpentry and plumbing would have been so useful as well.
Understanding income tax and banking, calculating interest rates and basic car mechanics. Indentifying native trees and flowers, childcare and stain removal. I could go on. I know that some of these have been tought intermittently, primarily to the least academic children, as though brighter children never need these skills.
I never wanted to have a career in these things just to know when I took the car to be repaired that I wasn't being ripped off, or when I rang the plumber to be able to tell him in general terms what the problem was. Now having chosen a more practical lifestyle I know I would have learned the skills I need so much more quickly had I had some basic knowledge as a foundation.
Almost everything that I read describes poverty in purely financial terms, but what if it's not just about finances what if it's also about knowledge? I know that good heath and access to fresh food are linked so if people could grow, cook and preserve thier own produce what a difference that could make. I feel so encouraged when I read about local groups and sometimes even councils who are prepared to sponsor such iniatives but I still .wish that's what we all learned at school.


No comments:

Post a Comment