Friday 9 October 2015

Time

Today, not for the first time I completely forgot my normal mantra of tackling only one job at at time and as a result I was exhausted by lunch. The kitchen was littered with a dozen started, but not completed tasks and I had left no room for,and gave no thought, to preparing lunch. As I surveyed the worktops my heart sank when I calculated how much time I needed to finish everything I had started. It was not going to be before midnight.

I did the most logical things that I could think of:- Panicked and then shouted at Steve. Steve was obviously being unreasonable coming into the kitchen at lunchtime and offering to set the table, with the built in implication that that we might be eating sometime soon. The fact that the table was no longer visible under the piles of washing in various stages of organisation didn't help. Rather than let him mess with my laundry system I told him to make the Salad. He said nothing, just looked helpless as the ingredients for the said salad were still in a bucket mixed with random vegetables  green stuff for rabbits and chickens all with a healthy amount of soil attached. It was also still on the Patio so not really obvious ( but irrelevant he should know where it might be!)

We managed lunch eventually, Steve went to work, I had a cup of coffee and tried to calm down. I also tried not to be angry with Steve for the unpardonable sin of finishing early on a Friday (Glass of wine, crisps and a film) and no chance of extracting myself from the unintentional chaos I had created this morning. I sighed and thought longingly of the life that some of my old friends in England still think I lead. A villa with a pool in the Sun and me on deckchair with a Gin and tonic.

Tomorrow I need to tackle the garden but tomorrow is another day.......

PS I didn't forget the walnuts, we had vegetable tagine for lunch and I replaced half the chickpeas with roasted walnuts, it was good move definitely worth repeating. Not as good as the walnut sauce yesterday but good enough. If walnuts really are a super food we will be so healthy by the end of the week.

And now for that glass of wine

No comments:

Post a Comment